Saturday, January 31, 2009

Super Bowl Musing



The Super Bowl (I MEAN BIG GAME . . . Please don't sue me) is tomorrow, and there is one thing I would like to mention about this year's game: I don't like the Steelers. It has nothing to do with the players, owners or even their fans; it has all to do with their helmets.

If you are unaware, the Steelers are the only team in the NFL that has their logo on one side of their helmet only (see above picture.) So, why does this annoy me (and I assume Arian Monk as well - if you don't get that reference it is probably because, you, like everyone else, don't watch 'Monk' and always wonder why Tony Shalhoub is nominated for awards.) The reason is, from one side you recognize this team as the NFL squadron - The Pittsburgh Steelers. However, from the other side they are - The Generic Football Team From Those Commercials That Couldn't Get Licensing To Use Any Real Teams In Their Commercial.

Do the Steelers really want to be associated with "JB's Appliance Super Center - Where appliances aren't just great, they're SUPER!"? (Note: This store does not exist, nor does the terrible tagline . . . however, if by some chance this store DOES EXIST and they have this tagline, I sincerely apologize.) Everytime I see a commercial with the generic black team going up against the generic blue team, I think for a split-second, "Hey, how did they get permission to use the Steele . . . Oh wait, they don't have a logo on the other side of their helmet." And, imagine going to a Steelers game, if you sit on one side of the stadium, you might think you are watching a live commercial, how confusing, and unrealistic, is that!?

No comments: