Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Glee Is Unexpectedly Creepy


The coveted time slot immediately following the Super Bowl next year is going to the musical hit Glee. I will be honest, I don't like Glee. Why don't I like it? Because, it makes me realize my dream of becoming a minor high school celebrity pop-star has passed me by? Partially, but mainly because I find the show oddly creepy.


A show about bright-eyed, cheery singers should not be creepy, but it is. I couldn't put my finger on why I found Glee to be creepy til the other day. It's not that the students have a bizarrely close relationship with school administrators. It's not that somehow this school has stockpiled talented children, most likely by stealing them from unfit parents and training them in an underground singing factory (assumed.) No, what I find creepy, is the music between scenes.


Sure, the songs they choose are enjoyable, many current and past hits, but the music that drifts in-and-out through the show is just, well, bizarre. You can watch here for a better idea (If you watch the Laryngitis episode, you can hear an example starting at the 31 second mark.)

No comments: