Monday, October 6, 2008

Welcome to America Home Of The Mile

I participated in the Susan G Komen Race For The Cure 5k Run this past weekend, which has brought something to my attention:

Why are charitable races the only thing in America to still use the metric system??

This race was a 5k, 'k' standing for kilometer, though you might not know that because you live in America where we have abolished the metric system just like those smelly Brits. You know what the first question I heard was when I got there, "How many miles is a 5 k?" The answer to this question is unbeknownst to me, though I guess it is in the neighborhood of 130 miles or some other distance that was way too far for me to attempt to run. But what a waste of a question when the race could just as easily been 3 miles.

We weigh things in pounds, we measure clothing in inches yet when we run in a charity race BOOM we're European. "Good day chap, fancy a 5k do you?" I don't even know what you just said, and I wrote it. This is America, we like our food greasy, our TV's big and our units of measurement ridiculously complicated.

No comments: